Just say no to driverless cars ?

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sat Dec 1 20:50:54 CST 2012

My first flight to London was on an overnight flight on a 747,  I was
on the upper deck, and ended up talking for several hours to two
people I thought were flight attendants.  We really didn't talk much
about flying or planes, but mostly what to see in London when I could
find some time off.

At one point, one of those "flight attendants" opened a closet, took
out his hat, put it on and said, "excuse me, I have to land the
plane."  I was asked to take my seat.

I am a pilot, and have flown quite a lot commercially, so I am pretty
familiar with what happens in flight.  I though the gear was down, but
then there was a big thump.  I couldn't even see the wing, so I was
sure we were still in cloud and not near the ground.  Then the nose
started coming down, which happens, but the engines were spooling down
too, which never happens in flight near the ground.

Then there was another thump as the nose wheel touched down, and
breaking began.  HUH?  We were on the ground, and I was at the same
height as the pilots, yet I could not see the ground, or even the wing!

That was my first encounter with auto-landing, which was not legal in
the US at the time, about 1983 or so.

--chip