OT: What's in a USB cable?

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 19:15:59 CST 2013

Hi Iain

I've had similar problems myself. When my laptop has an unterminated USB cable plugged into it, the USB "ding" indicator sometimes stutters as though it thinks that a device is being rapidly and randomly connected and disconnected, and it seems to divert all its system resources to trying to recognize the newly 'attached' device, which causes the computer to similarly stutter. I have always assumed that this is just noise pick-up from the (unterminated) cable.

Phil M1GWZ