OT: What's in a USB cable?

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sat Jan 5 19:31:08 CST 2013

yup - leaving an antenna connected to a USB port is a bad idea,
especially a USB 2.0 port

the "device enumeration" which takes place to allow "hot-plugging" USB
goobers is a non-trivial
process which ties-up the CPU for stretches because the guys who
designed the USB protocols
made the classic mistake of assuming the computer has nothing better to
do that wet-nurse
USB host control chips, especially when it's doing a "hot-plug"
operation because what on earth
could be more important than plugging in a USB Nerf Cannon?  There are
better controller chips
which take less CPU intervention, but there are a lot of USB 1.0 and
early 2.0 ports out there with
really, really brain-dead controllers.

     -mo