Exponential growth

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Tue Jan 8 17:57:41 CST 2013

On 1/8/2013 10:46 AM, Richard O'Neill wrote:
> On 1/8/2013 11:09 AM, Andre Kesteloot wrote:
>> Apparently, American (native) Indians, when they moved in group,
>> would task one of theirs to look backwards from time to time, in
>> order to memorize the view that they would to need to see to be able
>> to return to their village.
>
>  Yep, I've practice that technique when hiking in the wilds and when
> hunting in unknown regions. It's helped me return to my camp/car more
> than once. These days I still practice it but also carry a compass and
> GPS, just in case. ;-)   BTW, the old trick of reading moss around the
> base of trees to locate north on overcast days isn't all that
> reliable. Moss grows everywhere! =-O

And moss grows fat on a rolling stone...    Sorry, I couldn't help
myself!  :-)

I'm becoming reacquainted with orienteering utilizing a compass and topo
maps.  I'm starting to hike more and more in the back country, and like
to have an alternative to a GPS - which if accidentally dunked in a
stream or lake would not continue to function very well.  (I have not
yet invested in a waterproof GPS / radio such as the Garmin Rinio.)
Also, here in Utah, one does not have to travel very far into the
mountains before a cell phone is just added weight in your pack, as they
cease to function unless one hikes to the top of the mountains.

I'm tentatively scheduled to take a 3-mile snowshoe hike in the Uinta
Mountains this weekend to a yurt.  We are watching the weather at this
point, because there is a new storm that is supposed to be in by
Friday.  The current weather forecast calls for snow up to 2 - 3 feet in
this storm, and nighttime temperatures to -10F.  While the yurt promises
to be nice and toasty inside, the heavy snowfall may prevent us from
attempting the hike this weekend.  Fortunately, if we do go, there are a
couple 2m repeaters in this region.

Joe, N6DGY