Further arguments against HomePlug and similar technologies

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Jan 14 14:59:21 CST 2013

Hi folks,

At work (for a big cable tv operator) we're trying to understand just
how bad stuff like HomePlug is going to be in a multiple dwelling unit
(read: apartments or condos) sort of situation.

I know it craps all over our spectrum and that in and of itself should
be enough to kill it in my book but I'm looking for additional data.
A cursory read of the specs suggests encryption (DES on HomePlug 1.0,
AES128 on HomePlug AV) so that it doesn't just all auto-configure in
such a way that everyone that's downstream of the same transformer is
going to magically find themselves on the same network, but I still
suspect that the possibilities for mutual interference are high.

MOCA (similar sort of concept over cable tv coax) runs at 2.4 GHz and
the characteristics of the coax at those frequencies ensures that the
signal pretty much doesn't leave the house (too much attenuation on
RG6).  I am not sanguine about HomePlug or similar technologies given
the frequency ranges HomePlug and similar technologies run (2-28 or
2-50 MHz) over power feeders south of the same distribution
transformer.

Does anyone have pointers to further reading?

-r