ElectricImp.com

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Jan 20 09:34:01 CST 2013

<wb4jfi at knology.net> writes:

> Sounds kind of squirrelly to me (the language it purports to use is
> yet another variant of C, called squirrel).  If the language is
> "C-like", why not just use C?  These people are getting too cute for
> their own good.

To be fair, this is exactly how Wiring (the programming language for
the Arduino) is described, though describing it as "C++ with so many
convenient libraries tossed on top as to make it unrecognizable" is
prehaps more honest.

> I was going to play with one, but the full-time Internet access
> requirement made it road-kill.  Insert your own "nuts" joke here, I'm
> from California, so I get a free pass.

100% agreement.  Things must work properly and in a not-unexpected
fashion when connected to the Internet and disconnected from the
Internet...  but also make appropriate decisions when the Internet
connectivity is dodgy (cursory test returns OK but attempting to use
yields crummy performance for whatever reason).

Somehow, the last case never gets addressed well.

-r