Rebuilding my station

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 22 09:07:55 CST 2013

I have had good luck with used and somewhat old coax.  I can put in a
signal generator on one end and a termination on the other.  a good RF
voltmeter can then check the levels at each end and the cable loss is
measured.  You will start seeing loss on good cable at 440 MHz so you
may need to look at the spec sheets.

I recall how some old WW2 RG8 was really bad while it seems most made
after that lasted much longer.  The "bad" now seems to be seen as a lack
of flexibility with cracking sounds as it is bent.  If it passes this
test, then you can use the signal generator.

You can also use a hipot tester I suppose but those testers are rather rare.

Frank K0BRA