[POLITICAL] [ARDUINO] [OPENWRT] [LINUX] What are you building?

Sean Sheedy sean at theSheedys.com
Fri Jan 25 20:37:57 CST 2013

Greetings,

I signed up for AMRAD years ago, but family and the long distance from
Loudoun pretty much kept me from coming to meetings.  I have visited
Tacos once (and enjoyed it) and have been to Frank's lab (thanks,
Frank).  This must have been in 2007 or 2008 because I got my own big
tall Sprinter van in 2009 which has become my ham shack of sorts.

<political>

I'm very happy that AMRAD is getting into Arduinos, because I believe
ham radio desperately needs a bridge from this land to ham radio.  I had
a brief but interesting discussion with an FCC staffer during an
inauguration event this weekend about our aging demographics.  He
remarked that I was a young ham (and I have kids in elementary through
high school.)

It occurred to me that the youth we should be targeting are not
necessarily folks like my 11 year old, who just got his license, or my
15 year old, who got hers a few years ago but now is busy winning art
competitions.  Perhaps we need to target youth of all ages - college
students, programmer mom and dads, etc, who have become interested in
Arduino, Pi, HTML5, and other Maker-like things.  In that world, Ham
Radio should be another tool in a toolkit to accomplish tasks.  With
these tools they can build cool things that will interest their kids.

There is a large person-to-person communication mindset in amateur
radio.  But these Maker technologists need communication that is
machine-to-machine or machine-to-network (as in Internet) where the
machines are serving a purpose for the hobbiest like reporting weather,
telemetry, or a million other things that the world can think of that I
can't begin to imagine.  These kind of people may not be calling CQ on
80 meters CW but would still be fulfilling most if not all of the
purposes that the FCC has set out for Amateur Radio.

The most remarkable thing about Arduino is that someone finally realized
that the embedded toolchain was inscrutable to the vast majority of
people interested in this stuff, yet was the first barrier facing anyone
trying to get a PIC or AVR working.  They also brilliantly constructed a
platform where you can have great success with two simple routines and a
few lines of very straightforward code.  Yet when the hobbyist is ready,
they can fully incorporate the most sophisticated concepts like
interrupts, pointers, structures, objects, and all the powerful tools we
use in programming and embedded development.  Arduino built a bridge
over the toolchain headaches that is bringing people into embedded
development in droves.

I think Ham Radio is missing a similar bridge.  For example, anyone can
use an ISM band modem (Bluetooth, Wifi, Zigbee) but a hobbyist wanting
to take this to a wide area level has no simple ham radio option.  For
example, I've equipped my van with a couple of Arduinos and a router
running OpenWRT, and have a couple of deactivated Android phones and
tablets that will make great user interfaces, and are interconnected
with Bluetooth and Wifi.  But I have no simple way of using Amateur
Radio to experiment with this on a wider area level. I'm not about to
hook it into the APRS system in the van. I'm terrified to pollute the
APRS channel with telemetry messages from my van, and wonder if how
close to the edge of the "person-to-person communications" rules my
"machine-to-machine" mindset that places me.  I could cobble together a
data system using hamfest radios and software or hardware modems, but
here again we are looking at reinventing the wheel and the toolchain
preparation that takes time away from my kids.

I could elaborate for hours (and perhaps I need to come to a meeting
with my new ham son and do this) but I will stop here and answer the
question posed.

</political>
<arduino>

- One of my projects is an "Arduinopunkt" (
https://plus.google.com/115676199813038165917/posts/hPJdCXeRT1U) which
is a Blaupunkt stereo with the tape mechanism removed and two Arduinos
and a couple of prototype shields installed in its place.  I have a
number of lines coming from my instrument cluster (read-only at this
time!) which are waiting for me to write code for.  I don't use OBD-II
(yet) though it is available because I can get higher resolution data
elsewhere (like a speed signal where frequency in Hz = MPH).  One of
these Arduinos is USB Host capable for use with the Android ADK
(Accessory Developer Kit) but I think I am preferring Bluetooth since it
is more reliably present in Android ROMs.  I plan to use a Sprint EVDO
connection for communications with an EC2 server, and here would be a
great place to insert a ham radio WAN connection.  I have far more ideas
for this than I have time to implement them or space to write them.

</arduino>
<linux platform="android,openwrt" attributes="low-power,junk-drawer">

- I have not gotten into Raspberry Pi because I think I can do better
from a power and display perspective by employing linux-based cell
phones and tablets, using wifi as the communications channel.  A browser
or a PhoneGap app provides a natural UI for Arduino or embedded
functionality exposed through small servers.  I believe folks are
running certain Linux distros in a chroot environment on Android (there
is a recipe for doing this on the HP Touchpad.)  OpenWRT not as much
router firmware as it is a highly functional Linux distribution,
complete with package manager, which happens to run in routers.  These
meet all my needs so I don't need a Pi yet.

</linux>
<arduino mode="cw">

- I think there was a discussion a while back on the value of the
relatively low CPU capability of the Arduino.  I'm frequently somewhere
I put a bunch of thought into making a crossband repeater for the van
that identified properly and could support a number of radios, by
assigning a radio to its own Arduino and having them all communicate
with a master Arduino that determines who should be transmitting and
receiving and can accept remote commands to control the repeater.  I was
planning to put the Morse code sender in its own Arduino.  I got as far
as writing a non-blocking CW library that can send different messages on
different pins at the same time.

</arduino>
<arduino style="dead-bug">

- I also built an ISP cable onto one of my Arduinos, mainly to reflash
another bricked Arduino, but Microcenter has a $12 kit with a
programming socket which will soon replace it. An ISP cable is not a big
deal, but the point here is that many people forget that you can pull
the AVR out of the Uno and bug-style it into any circuit you want.  Why
doesn't Microcenter have a drawer of raw Atmel microcontrollers?  I
would like to build a lot of these into the wee corners of my Sprinter
(for example, one per battery to measure individual charging currents in
a battery bank.)  Again, what is missing here is a dirt simple, low
range RF telemetry connection.  The data is disposable, and I could use
a digital signature to authenticate the source of telemetry data sent
clear text.  Yet another project for another day.

</arduino>

All I really need now is a big bucket of round tuits.

Sean AI4ID