[POLITICAL] [ARDUINO] [OPENWRT] [LINUX] What are you building?

Jeff Scaparra jeff at scaparra.com
Fri Jan 25 21:54:07 CST 2013

I am a newer ham and I wanted to voice my opinion on combining new
technologies with ham radio. These are solely my opinion based on
my experience in ham radio and other communities.

I agree completely with recruiting new programmers, makers, security
professionals. I am probably one of the younger people in Ham Radio and I
am 28. I have tried to get some of my friends into it but talking on a
radio doesn't really interest them (I realize there is more to it than that
but that is the perception). The only way to really bring these people in
is to increase digital experimentation. Embrace open standards that allow
the "hacker" community to play (Hacker in the inventor sense and not
malicious). I think D-Star is an awesome idea with one fatal flaw.
A proprietary voice codec. I have a USRP and it is a great software defined
radio but I can't really write code to play with DSTAR because of the codec
issue. I could probably buy the dongle and make it work but then I can't
modify it or try something new very easily. I am encourage  by the codec2
work.

We should encourage people to create new digital modes and find ways to
link radio, computers, internet, robotics, etc.. I believe that this would
attract more people. I also know that some of these things are going on. I
think that it is important for the people leading these efforts to not only
explain their importance to other HAMs but to present them to the maker,
and hacker communities. By showing the interesting technologies and how
they could be applied it will encourage people to get licensed and start
tinkering. There are also some FCC rules that hinder our abilities to
"tinker". Personally I would like hams able to operate in any publicly
published mode so long that it fits in x-bandwidth inside of band-y. I
believe that this would allow for the most innovation and bring more
technological advances to our community. However this goes against
tradition and maybe hard to get support for. I would also like to see
more emphasis on building equipment v. buying it. It will take all kinds of
people to do the things I am talking about, visionaries, programmers,
electronic engineers, robotics engineers, etc...

My 2 cents

Scap KK4EPP