Help with first contact

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Mon Jan 28 20:20:59 CST 2013

NO!

The tone on the input MAY be related to the tone on the output, but
not necessarally.

I have run repeaters that use carrier squelch on the input, but
everyone of them runs a tone on the output.  This is so the users
don't have to deal with noise opening the squelch on their radios.
However, because it is an option, they don't have to use it.

I also have a close friend who runs closed UHF repeaters.  He doesn't
want people to figure out (easily) how to gain access.  He uses cross
tones.  The tone that opens the repeater is NOT the tone on the
output.  The NYC police used a similar system, but now they don't even
pair the repeater inputs and outputs at 5 MHz because of
interference.  They use odd parings and cross tones.

--chip