Off shore turbines (Was Re: Potential dumpster diving opportunity).

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Fri Feb 8 15:04:42 CST 2013

On 2/8/2013 12:18 PM, Mike O'Dell wrote:

> i was just reading about the next generation off-shore turbines which
> are targeting
> 10 Megawatts per turbine. The blades for those suckers are 100 METERS
> long,
> so the diameter of the blade swept area is 200 meters.
anything that is mechanical suffers wear-and-tear, hence needs maintenance.
Offshore structures (I known, I installed and commissioned a pirate TV
station built on an oil-drilling rig) are fraught with problems.
I am not certain that the advocates of off-shore turbines always include
the long-term maintenance cost in their sales-pitch ...
André