PT Barnum is spinning in his grave

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Fri Feb 15 17:50:10 CST 2013

These kinds of things were around decades ago too.  As a recovering
audiophile, I've seen it all.  The most fun though, was taking home two or
three pieces of equipment from a dealer and having a get-together to listen
to them.
I had a co-worker ( a very good RF engineer) who was always kidding me and
claiming that you can't hear the difference between cables and in this case,
CD players because they were digital.  He was in the market for an audio CD
player, so he invited me to go along to one of the local audio stores.  I
talked him into bringing three units to my house and spend some time
listening to them.  Right off the bat we dismissed one of the units, and the
choice was more difficult for the best pick, but the "glass ceiling" and
lack of low bass was finally heard by him.  Next we took out the
interconnect cables that came with the unit and replaced them with those I
was using.   He said it opened up the room.  I wouldn't go that far, but
there was a clear difference.

So, somewhere in the middle of the outlandish AC line cords and an ACME
stereo lies the place where the sweet spot is depending on how much you want
to spend.  It's the same as the old saying; "How fast you want to go depends
on how much money you want to spend".

This hobby no different than others where manufacturers make outlandish
claims for a physically well-made piece of equipment when a little homework
is all you need.  Of course there is always the guy who just needs to spend
money.

Jim, KR9U