Funny 220 response code...

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Fri Mar 1 20:24:59 CST 2013

The SMTP server I wrote for our UNIVAC 1108 mainframe 30 years ago would say something like:

220 UMD2.UMD.EDU Greetings programs!

This was the era of the original "TRON" movie, and the quote was extracted from the movie.  It seemed a good fit, since as you pointed out, only other programs are intended to see those messages.  I feel sad inside that I have seen them many, many times myself.

(The server in question is out of spec; the first "word" of the 220 response is required to be the name that the server identified itself as, and **** doesn't count.  That's been true since the original RFC-821 document from way back then.)

louie
wa3ymh