New NIST Time Code to Boost Reception for Radio-Controlled Clocks

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Sun Mar 10 10:48:52 CDT 2013

Why do we need higher precision time broadcasts?  Simple.  Our
governments want to bring back red light cameras.  Since a minimal
'yellow' period results in a good number of cars being unable to
possibly stop in time, the precise adjustment of the 'yellow' time to
within a fraction of a second of legal minimum is key, in order to
maximize revenue.  This could have been accomplished with any decent
crystal oscillator, but proper coordination of multiple traffic lights
in order to maximize gridlock requires wide-area timebase coordination.
Hence more precise over-the-air timekeeping was needed.

    Bob, WA3WDR