[ARDUINO]

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Thu Mar 21 11:57:09 CDT 2013

Rob,

I second your opinion. Good engineering uses only the resources that are
needed for the worst case solution to the problem. There are many design
challenges that can only be met with processors more powerful than the
Arduino. On the other hand, the Arduino is beautifully suited to most ham
projects that will actually get designed and built. You can buy the Arduino
starter kit at Radio Shack today over lunch today and have it running in a
few minutes. That is not yet true for most of the "better" XYZ brands. Note
the comparison between the Arduino and the Apollo 11 Guidance Computer. The
Arduino runs rings around it so it would be more than sufficient to land a
man on the moon and return him safely to earth. (Supposing we had a big
enough rocket, of course.)

I'm not advocating that we keep things primitive, but I think that using the
easiest platform to buy, learn, program, and interface will be more likely
to spark greater interest among a larger community of hams.

In general, we should not criticize the design approaches taken by other
hams. Paul, W4RI, says it better than I could in his "Rule of Amateur Radio
Progress".

"Progress is made in Amateur Radio by letting energetic individuals move
forward. Conversely, nothing in Amateur Radio is accomplished by complaining
about other individual's projects. Simple summary: If you don't like their
project, then go do or support your own choices."

http://www.k0nr.com/blog/2008/01/paul-rinaldos-rule-of-amateur-radio.html

73 Karl W4KRL

Apollo 11

Arduino UNO