[ARDUINO]

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Thu Mar 21 12:34:37 CDT 2013

I’m not sure exactly how to respond (and thanks Andre for mentioning me in the same sentence as Alberto), but I think both Alberto and Rob have good points.

Alberto is going EXACTLY where I want to go.  And, he is very correct in that the Arduinos don’t have enough power to do anything of much significance.  I’ve already tried to push an Uno beyond its RAM , program, and data EEPROM, and am constantly fight the lack of usable pins.  This is doing some fairly basic stuff, not anything near SDR type apps.  So, I definitely want to follow what Alberto is doing.

However, you have to start somewhere.  As Rob points out, it is very easy to get an Arduino board up and running.  You can blink lights in less than a minute after installing the IDE.  I’ve been VERY IMPRESSED with the libraries and hardware shields that are available to do so many things with an Arduino.  From creating an X10 controller, motor shields, lCD and TFT/Touch LCDs, etc.. the Arduino has lots of pre-written fun stuff.  Just don’t try to do too much at once.

I’ve tried to build a nice X10 home controller for example.  While I can drive the X10 module, or a nice LCD, or a nice keyboard, trying to do all that with a Uno is very difficult to say the least.  This project is NOT sophisticated, an 8080 or Z80 microcomputer-based board could to it.  But, the Uno has too few hardware pins, and not enough EEPROM storage for the LUT, so I plan to use a Mega 2560.

Some hams in the Austin QRP group has been playing with the STM32F4 Discovery board.  It is more sophisticated, and would probably be better to use.  I have two of them.  However, there was a discussion about how difficult the development tools were to install and master.  The hardware platform is not as easy to expand upon, only a couple of mother/daughter boards are available.  But, if you need the horsepower, you need it.

BTW, the best Wifi shield that I have found for the Arduino is the Sparkfun WiFly, or other ones based on the Roving Networks modules.  I would recommend that you avoid the Link Sprite Cu Head (copperhead), or other modules based on the Microhip RF modules that the snake ones use.  They do NOT have the TCP/UDP/IP stack implemented within the wifi module.  You need to put significant software inside you project on the Arduino to do the protocol stack, taking up valuable memory and CPU time.  Be very careful what wifi hardware you get.  It can bite you.

I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that you should use tools that are only “good enough”.  You can get frustrated by always having to upgrade your hardware, and MORE importantly, the IDE and your software knowledge.  I think this is partially where Alberto was going.  The Arduino is a great learning tool, but simply cannot fulfill all requirements.  You will ALL reach its limitations if you keep building more complicated projects.

Lastly, I may not be around much in the next little while.  We just lost our boy cat, Fluffy.  He was only five years old, but he gave so much love to Judy and I.  He was more like a dog, as he was always happy and loving.  He was born with a lot of challenges (diabetes, Irritable Bowel, bad allergies, to name a few), but he never let them impede his life.  He was like a little boy to us.  We still have his sister cat, who is trying to figure out where in the house Fluffy is.  We miss him, our house feels so empty.
73, Terry, WB4JFI