Car clock project idea

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Tue Mar 26 09:08:32 CDT 2013

Mike,

The Arduino should have more than enough capability for this project. A
two-line display with buttons would be ideal. Search eBay for LCD keypad.
Try this for $7:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1602-LCD-Board-Blue-Backlight-Keypad-Shield-for-Ardu
ino-/271159893138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/1602-LCD-Board-Blue-Backlight-Keypad-Shield-for-Ard
uino-/271159893138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22639c92>
&hash=item3f22639c92 The buttons would make it easy to implement the time
zone and timer functions. It has a blue backlight - nice for cars.

The Arduino UNO has one hardware UART on pins D0 and D1 for serial com up to
115,200 baud. You would need a software UART to talk to a Bluetooth
transceiver. Haven't tried the supplied library yet.

I had a BR-355 hooked to a TH7D for APRS. Worked fine. Fast lock even under
poor conditions. I suppose the time is nearly as accurate as the satellite
signal but with some unknown and perhaps variable delay between reception
and spewing out the NMEA code. There would also be processing time in the
Arduino and display.

73 Karl W4KRL