paper on German radar

wb5mmb wb5mmb at pobox.com
Fri Mar 29 17:01:59 CDT 2013

used Chain Home as the transmitter

http://www.cdvandt.org/K-H%20final.pdf

ABSTRACT
We present a description and analysis of the German WW2 bistatic radar system
Klein Heidelberg
.
A brief account is given of the nature of the electronic war between
the Allied
bomber aircraft and the German air defence system, to show the
context in which the Klein Heidelberg
system evolved.
This is followed by a description of the development of Klein
Heidelberg, a technical description, and an assessment of its performance.
Next, a discussion of its operational significance, of what happened
after WW2, and finally some conclusions and
some lessons learned that may be relevant to the development of
present day bistatic radar systems.
In particular, we show that its performance
was impressive, yielding detection ranges
of Allied bombers in excess of 300 km, but that it became operational
too late to make any
significant difference to the course of WW2
.