Harbor Freight now open in Sterling VA

Michael Chisena ka2zev at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 30 08:48:52 CDT 2013

Hi all,

Was just there this Saturday AM.
Met the store manager, nice dude.

Its in the shopping center on Sterling Blvd very near the KFC.
Don't be confused because most of the windows are blanked.
They open on the 21st of next but are doing business to train up staff and configure the stock room.

Saw some good items, and some less than special ones.

On the techie side.
15 watt solar panels.

All kinds of neat flashlights.

There was a special going on over a cheap muiti meter.
Using one of these would be cheaper now than buying a custom built panel meter and scaling resistors.

There was a 20 dollar DMM package that included a thermocouple sensor that look real sharp.

A bunch of different non contact IR thermometers.
Some of the almost traditional 'gun type' with the built in laser pointer.
Others smaller about the size of a stack of silver dollars.

A whole lot of stuff related to welding supply.
Welders, tools, self darkening masks, wire and rods.
Another tool package was for 'plastic welding'.
Usually you only hear about that in the Auto Body trade where fixing bumper covers is important cost savings.

A big section given over to air compressor items. Tanks, pumps, electric motors, sprayers, all kinds of cool items.

Another thing that impressed me was a supply of ready to run gasoline engines.
From about a C Buck up.
Gets me thinking about a 'roll your own' back up generator or Field Day 12 volt source.

This could be a fun place, go check it out.

Be well all.
Mike Chisena
aka
KA2ZEV