Tacos Digest, Vol 123, Issue 4 -- NOT SURE WHAT THE SUBJECT SHOULD BE, , , BUT...

Gerald Wolczanski jerrywlinux at comcast.net
Fri May 17 07:34:21 CDT 2013

What an interesting paper.

Digging around on the Internet, one would think that without BALUNS no
antenna would seem to work.  When these folks installed RF chokes on the
feedline, the chokes got warm (current flowing on outer shield), but
they saw no difference in the radiated field "when the transmitter power
was adjust to match the new impedance".

Here's an example of the pro-BALUN crowd:
http://www.w8ji.com/ground_plane_verticals.htm

When I became an avid SWL in the late 1950's, it seemed like every
European ham was running "100 watts and GP".  Perhaps ignorance was
bliss; maybe they NEEDED a BALUN, but the antennas worked fine without
them.

I've been pondering an elevated radial system for a 30 meter vertical.
I may give this a try.  There's also been talk about the need for
precise symmetry.  Les Moxon, G6XN, in his book "HF Antennas for all
Locations" makes the case that the 1/4 wave radial is the length to be
avoided!

In the case of "Beverage vs. Moxon", I'm going with Beverage, if only
for the name.  Burp.

Jerry
KI4IO