Ten Tec 506 and Arduino

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Sat May 18 13:42:21 CDT 2013

Mike, where did you see the price?  I looked on the Ten-Tec web site last
night, and could not find it.  After a Google search, I found one mention of
$199.  That's not too far out of line for a production radio from a real
company, although this rig is quite limited out of the box.  Compared to a
Softrock, the Rebel could be of interest to beginners, for example.  I'm
kind of surprised that Ten-Tec was the company to come up with this.  They
have been dinged in the past for not providing software/code and other info
for some of their other radios.

The 506 uses a chipKIT version of the Uno, which is made by Digilent, the
same vendor that makes the Nexys2 FPGA boards some of us have played with.
The chipKITt boards are not 100% Arduino compatible, but are very nice.
They have more resources than their Arduino counterparts, and run faster
(80MHz vs 16MHz).  There is more memory, more I/O, etc.  They use 32-bit
Microchip PIC processors rather than Atmel processors.  The pricing is very
similar to Arduinos.

There are two chipKIT boards, the Uno32 (like an Arduino Uno)($27), and the
Max32($50), like an Arduino Mega2560.

They claim to be mostly compatible with Arduinos.  This is based on both the
hardware I/O almost matching the Arduino footprint (allowing many but not
all shields to work) and mostly software compatible AT THE IDE LEVEL.  A lot
of work has gone into bending the Arduino IDE to create PIC-able code
instead of Atmel (or a mid-level interpreter?).  You can also program them
using the Microchip PIC32 development environments if you prefer that.

These chipKIT boards might be of interest to those AMRADers that are finding
the Uno too tight to complete projects with (hint hint).  There are some
incompatabilites with the Arduino line, both in hardware and software.
73, Terry, WB4JFI