Ten Tec 506 and Arduino

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Sun May 19 14:30:20 CDT 2013

OK Mike, gotcha!  Thanks for the clarification.  I thought that you were talking about the price of the Ten-Tec 506 (Rebel), which I found to be the $199 , after a  bunch of Googling.

The Palstar is a much more extensive rig (SSB & CW, 5-band, etc), with a much higher price to match.  It will be interesting to see how the Palstar matches up with other, stand-alone SDR-based radios, and what technology is inside.  If it’s just another Softrock-like QSD/QSE, then yawn, OK.  If it’s DDC/DUC-based, that could be interesting.  It actually appears to be neither, saying a 11-pole xtal filter, implying a “traditional” IF-based superhet radio?  The TFT screen is sexy.  And, DDS-based is no big whoop.

I can’t see the Palstar TR-30 competing even with the Elecraft KX3, but the info on it is just too early to tell for sure.  I LOVE my KX3.  The FT817 hasn’t seen any action since the KX3 arrived.
73, Terry, WB4JFI