Dayton G2

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Mon May 20 12:13:08 CDT 2013

Apache Labs IS the company that took Hermes over from TAPR.  I believe Abhi,
the person that did the final layout of Hermes may be involved.  You can
check out the Hermes page on openHPSDR.org to find out more on it.  They
also make a dual-ADC version.

While the HPSDR hardware uses a DDC-design with a high-speed A/D and a big
FGPA, the bandwidth had always been limited to 192kHz.  This goes back to
the original HPSDR boards (Ozy/Janus) that were essentially a fancy sound
card, and how the signals on the motherboard (Atlas) were propagated.  When
the multi-board DDC boardset came out (Mercury/Ozy), they kept the same
signaling on the backplane.  That kept the inter-board signaling at the same
slow speed.  Also, the computer interface board (Ozy), used USB, a newer
computer interface board (Metis) came out that is ethernet based.

While Hermes is a single-board design, it is very similar to a Mercury &
Metis combined.  The openHPSDR version of PowerSDR - in fact almost ALL
versions of PowerSDR - only support up to a max of 192kHz.  All based on the
original Flex PowerSDR, which was designed to support soundcard-based SDR
hardware.

Recently, work has been done to speed up the signals between the FPGA and
interface chip on both the Mercury/Metis and Hermes versions of HPSDR
hardware.  There is also an effort to add wider bandwidth displays to
PowerSDR in the HPSDR group.  They are doing at least 384k,and working on
more.  There is also FPGA code to allow multiple receivers (slices) inside
the FPGA, for multiple ham band display.  And other things.

The dual-A/D design is primarily for diversity reception.  Since many of the
DDC designs can support multiple 192k bandwidth frequency swaths or slices,
the dual-A/D design is not necessary for just doing this.  Dual-A/D allows
multiple antenna inputs.

As an aside, much of the Ozy/Mercury/Janus/Atlas design was originally done
by Phil Covington.  He separated from the HPSDR group, and sells his
QuickSilver QS-1R receiver (and matching QS-1E exciter)(models may not be
exact).  His design does NOT use the serial data path between FPGA and
interface chip, since his was a one-board design.  The QS-1R can do up to at
least FIVE slices at once.

I have an openHPSDR boardset and case using Mercury/Ozy/Atlas/Penelope.   I
am acquiring the parts to build a Hermes.

The HPSDR designs are very nice overall.  There have been some bumps in the
road, however.  I have been looking for a Metis for my boardset to upgrade
from USB to ethernet.  OTher parts can be difficult to locate.  Apache Labs
is a great solution to many of the problems.  Not only is there the PowerSDR
software, but there's a CuSDR, which uses the main computers GPU for
processing.  There's also KISS, advertised as a simpler SDR software
package.  And, there's a version for Macs as well, Heterodyne?
73, Terry, WB4JFI