Natiional Radio Quiet Zone W.Va

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 14 09:02:59 CDT 2013

On 8/13/2013 3:56 PM, Phil wrote:

  please elaborate - in what way different?

Phil,

  Brian and I have visited the NRO facility with a local group from
AMRAD. It's an interesting place to visit but for a country site differs
little from a hundred other places in West Virginia. Mountains, cows,
widely separated tiny towns and endless winding roads with plenty of
switch backs. A great place to get away from it all or hide in plain
sight from the authorities.

  The region near NRO differs only in that no transmitters are allowed.
However, night time does bring in sky wave signals across the broadcast
frequencies. On my car radio I was able to hear most of the usual stuff
and a few low power regional stations on AM. FM was pretty quiet, not
full of stations as it is along the east coast and most everywhere else
I've traveled.

  The NRO site has overnight accommodations for visitors - plus a
cafeteria. No fast food places at all. Rooms are equipped with phone,
cable TV, AC and indoor plumbing. A bit fancy for my preferred camping
lifestyle but it'll do in a pinch. ;-) The time I was there (August?)
the night sky was very dark but not particularly steady for telescopic
viewing. Cool air draining off nearby mountains continuously spills into
the valley until sunrise. I suspect fog a frequent occurrence in Summer
with brutal snows in Winter. Weather extremes abound there. All in all
an interesting place to visit but, aside from an old gas station /
general store down the road a bit (reminiscent of the movie,
'Deliverance') and an occasional modest home, very short on anything
resembling civilization as we know it. Bring a bango and you'd be right
at home. :-)

Richard