Natiional Radio Quiet Zone W.Va

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Fri Aug 16 01:50:23 CDT 2013

In my home, for the last 17 years, I have had a WIRED alarm system.  I would NEVER consider using a wireless system.  I know the FREQUENCY, and if I knew I was breaking into a home or business with an ADT system, I would know what frequency to key up upon from the street to make the system fail.  I won't post the frequency here, but it is ONE!

I have several ham transmitters which would block the low power sensors from the home openings.  It is just stupid.

That is why I have a totally wired system.

Stepping back two steps, I was told I could use two different cameras.  One was the Nikon FM-3a.  It was totally silent.  No electrical noise at all.  The other was my Nikon F-5.  Well, it turns out it is a real interference generator.

I also used several Hasselblad cameras.  They don't even contain batteries.  I used an SWC quite a lot.  Cool camera, and cool images.  I also used several 503s.  Again, no batteries.  No noise.  Good images.

The place is pretty amazing, and people don't understand what they will and won't allow.  They don't allow FRS radios.  They don't allow ham portables.

They don't actually ban cellular (as I recall) but they don't work.

A friend wanted to install a 900 MHz paging transmitter near the outer edge of the zone.  They normally would install 900 Watts or so.  They were allowed 9 Watts.

They hunt down leaky microwave ovens.  To their credit, they replace them.  They shut down WiFi base stations.

They DID have Internet in the dorms, but only on Eathernet.  No WiFI.

It really is a quiet zone.

--chip