National Radio Quiet Zone W.Va

w3hwn at comcast.net w3hwn at comcast.net
Wed Aug 14 16:32:17 CDT 2013

Mobile (and portable) equipment is permitted in the NRQZ; fixed equipment may be usable if it's coordinated in advance with the NRAO Green Bank people. They have somebody there (or maybe more than one somebody; I haven't dealt with them in a few years) whose full-time job is to coordinate with prospective transmitter operators to make sure interference is not caused to the radio telescopes and other sensitive equipment on site. They also keep busy tracking down sources of QRM that manage to sneak past the preview process, using the truck Sandy mentioned. Green Bank has veto power over most fixed equipment in the NRAO, on and off site, which is not to say there is none. They have a fixed repeater on the campus, used by staff, that was carefully installed so as not to cause problems.

When AMRAD made an invited visit to the place a few years ago, we (for those who aren't already familiar with the story) had to dust off our elderly non-digital photographic equipment. In my case, it meant finding a replacement for the batteries the camera used to power the through-the-lens metering system; the one it wanted. a mercury cell, was no longer being made due to environmental concerns. (It's an old camera, circa the mid-to-late 70s.)

As a matter of some interest to Phil, they have a bunch of old London taxis on the premises. They're diesels, and electrically quieter than the gasoline-driven buggies we make hereabouts.