Squirrely

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Mon Sep 2 12:04:47 CDT 2013

On 9/2/2013 10:38 AM, Richard O'Neill wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 11:55 AM, Joseph Bento wrote:
>> Consquirrelcy? You haven't seen nothing!
>
>  Yep, tree rats in my neighborhood are rapidly increasing in number
> but they're not a problem in my yard. Although bushy tail rodents can
> appear deceptively cute I know them for what they are - tasty morsels.
> My sound suppressed pellet rifle quietly and efficiently furnishes me
> with ample supplies of Autumn squirrel pot pie. Yummy! :-)
>
> http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/554548/Squirrel-pot-pie-can-be-a-satisfying-dish.html?nav=745
>

> Richard
> _

Interesting article.  I was raised in big-city California, so I never
had the pleasure to try some of the dishes we city folk considered
obscure.  Even venison, elk, or other big-game animals were somewhat
rare for a city boy to sample, as few people traveled the distance to
hunt.  That has changed since living in Utah, however.  Through what
friends have shared, I've eaten elk, venison, and boar, either in stews,
dried as jerky, or delicious steaks.  I dare say that the meat is
typically far superior to what one might buy in the supermarket.  Had I
grown up in the environment I now live, I  would likely have enjoyed
hunting.  As it is now, I have a far greater appreciation for the sport,
and no longer view all wildlife as cute fuzzy animals.  However, while I
will eat what is shared, I don't think I'd be capable at this point of
my like to take down a large animal.

Squirrel supposedly tastes somewhat like dark-meat chicken with a bit of
gamey flavor.  Eating tree rats... wow!  :-)  We have other critters
like mountain lions and coyotes to keep the squirrel population in check.

Joe, N6DGY