FOX News: FCC announces plans to upgrade century-old phone system

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Fri Nov 22 16:39:27 CST 2013

The copper cable would be very expensive to remove, so most places it is being abandoned in place.

On Nov 21, 2013, at 7:54 PM, tacos-request at amrad.org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 00:46:06 +0000
> From: Phil <philmt59 at aol.com>
> To: Tacos reflector <tacos at amrad.org>
> Subject: Re: FOX News: FCC announces plans to upgrade century-old
> 	phone system
>
> Of course, the real driving force behind the hardware update from copper wire to optical fibre is that the value of the copper will most likely pay for the whole conversion, and yield a profit.
>
> Phil M1GWZ

If it were true that they could get away from tariffed services, but that is not what is going on.  I just received YET ANOTHER call from Verizon today, wanting to convert me from copper to fiber, free of charge to me.  I stayed on the line, YET AGAIN, to try to get the calls to stop.  Both the recording and the woman I spoke with said that nothing would change -- I would still be under the FCC #1 Tariff..  The recording said the reason they want to convert me from copper to fiber is because of failures in "my" area.  I have suffered none.  I also learned they are not allowed to move me off copper without my permission.

There is no way I will allow them to move me to fiber.

	1:	I have to supply the electricity, not Verizon.
	2:	When the back-up battery goes dead in a
		power failure, I am either without phone
		service or I have to put it on generator.
	3:	Verizon has stopped replacing failed
		batteries in customers'' homes and
		businesses.  Thus, in two or three years
		when the battery goes bad, the customer
		is out $25.

If they ever force me to fiber, I will cancel my one last Verizon line.

--chip