Interesting DATV development using generic SDR hardware

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Sat Nov 23 14:57:11 CST 2013

>From Ron, W6RZ, in the DigitalATV Yahoo group:

Over the last week, I've been able to get the bladeRF Software Defined Radio
to transmit a fully compliant ATSC signal.

http://nuand.com/bladeRF

Details here.

http://nuand.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3503

The board is also capable of DVB-T and DVB-S.

http://nuand.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3499

Ron W6RZ

This is an important step, since ATSC/8VSB transmission has been difficult
and expensive in the past.  In the forum message, it's clear that more work
needs to be done, so the BladeRF can accept a transport stream instead of
I/Q data, but with a little more work, that could be done as well, reducing
the load on the host PC.  I'm not sure if they are using the $420 or the
$650 BladeRF board.  I believe some European ATV people also have specific
FPGA boards doing DATV, but I think they are DVB-T or DVB-S, not ATSC.  Not
that makes a lot of difference for amateur operations, as DVB receivers are
available on ebay...
Terry, WB4JFI