Chinese toy

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Thu Jan 9 17:55:24 CST 2014

On 1/9/2014 4:22 PM, Phil wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2014, at 23:12, Alex Fraser wrote:
>
>> I was searching for USB OTG cables with power for my SDR dongle when
>> I came across this hand cranked USB charger for $2.66.  I bought one,
>> but it will take many days to get here for a test.  I mean really
>> isn't his what everyone secretly wants?  I predict hand cranked smart
>> phones will be all the rage...
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/190889726972?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
>
> I've seen hand-cranked smart phones. You take the receiver off the
> wall, crank the handle, and a voice says, "Number, please?" They were
> big in the 1920s, so should be due for a comeback Real Soon Now.
>
> Phil M1GWZ

No batteries to replace, and no upgrades required.  They just work...
not unlike the 1959 rotary dial wall phone in my basement.
Unfortunately, it's connected to the cable TV modem for telephone, and
tends to not work if there is a power failure more than an hour or so.
Ma Bell was never like that with the hard-wired copper pair. (I'm
actually surprised the cable modem supports a rotary phone. Must be some
FCC mandate.)

Joe, N6DGY