Antivirus musings (was Re: SDR dongle problem)

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Sun Jan 12 23:15:30 CST 2014

For what it's worth, I used to work at Symantec. They completely overhauled the Norton Internet Security product in 2008 or 2009, and it went from something I couldn't stand using to something I rather liked, if that's possible in an antivirus product. If you're going to buy a Symantec product, get Norton Internet Security or Norton Anti-virus. Norton 360, the family/end-user thing tries to be all things to all people, and I'm not convinced it actually does any of them well.

The McAfee consumer products had the nasty attribute that there was actually no user menu mechanism to quit the thing if I had to do something intensive.

When I want to go low rent for A/V on MS Windows, I use Immunet's free cloud A/V product (bought by Sourcefire, thence by Cisco) along with Microsoft Security Essentials. Immunet is about as low-overhead as you can get (assuming you're Internet connected), and I personally know and/or have worked with the founders of the company before it was acquired.

Immunet is designed to peacefully coexist with classical A/V products. (Except perhaps Kaspersky which doesn't seem to get along with anything.) They also integrated ClamAV into it, but it's not the same as ClamAV.

Avast isn't bad either, but it has a habit of continuing to alert on things that have already been mitigated, at least on the OS X version.

No matter what A/V you run, it's probably not a bad idea to occasionally run a scan with something like Malwarebytes' scanner as well.

The truth is that the day of significant value in antivirus software has all but passed. I recently was at an investor conference for security companies and at least 4 told tales of CISOs saying they wanted to stop buying A/V products for the enterprise. I believe them. There are better, or at least more useful approaches these days.

Sandboxing and whitelisting are the mechanisms most likely to provide cover these days. If you buy a new Dell in any of 3 product lines, they're now bundling Invincea's sandboxing product. (Which is a company based in Northern Virginia, to boot.)

Unfortunately, Bit9, perhaps the best whitelisting option out there, doesn't want to sell licenses in anything less than 500-license bundles.

--Bob