Ham IP addresses?

louie louie at transsys.com
Tue Jan 14 23:28:57 CST 2014

There was a wormhole in the sky that I was involved with back around 1987.

I was working at the University of Maryland Computer Science Center in
College Park at the time, on the staff at the computer center there.  We
had a couple of satellite antennas on the roof that we used for various
purposes.  One of them was otherwise "idle" as the project in question
has come to a merciful end.

Now this satellite dish and feed, etc. were still up on the roof. It was
a pretty good size, maybe around 3 or 4 meters?  It was relatively
expensive and painful to get installed, both because of the weight of
the structure, as well as needing to run conduits for the signal runs as
well as non-trivial power to run heaters for the feed and dish so that
the link would continue to operate during snow storms.  While there was
money to install it, there was no obvious money at hand to remove it,
and I think we were all hoping to leverage it as part of some future
project or grant..

There was a ham at the company that ran the actualy satellite operations
for this link.  I wish I can recall who it was at Vitalink in the SF bar
area, but I can't at this point.  We managed to hook up somehow, and he
had the idea to set up an AX.25 packet radio wormhole.  It was done in a
fairly interesting way, at least given what was available at the time.
He shipped out some hardware that produced the ability to transmit audio
over the data link.  I think the capacity of the full-duplex data
circuit was 19.2-50 kb/s; and he had some hardware with a (as I recall)
CVSD audio code.  We installed a 2m antenna on the roof of the building
in a quasi-official manner and scraped up 2m radio and TNC.   Likewise,
a similar configuration at the far end.  We ended up sending audio from
each end to the other with the effect of having this crazy digipeater.
It suffered a bit from a hidden terminal problem, since local
transmitters on 2m in the MD/DC end couldn't hear the audio being
received from california, and vice-versa.  But it worked after a fashion.

It was up and running for some number of months, maybe a year or so,
using WA3YMH-1 (or some other suffix) as the callsign of the
digipeater.  I'm sure it was all perfectly legal, and I'm pretty hopeful
any statute of limitations has since expired, if not :-)

There's an article here:
http://ncpa.n0ary.org/13_Downlink_1994_summer.pdf starting about page
13, describing that experiment, including the later conversion of the
audio bridging to using the link  between two NET/ROM nodes, one at each
end.  As I recall, we just shoved the 9600 bgp async serial data into
the 56k synchronous satellite modems and there were enough samples per
bit to get the async characters shoved over to the other end!

I also recall random flame wars at the time about the impurity of
tunneling amateur packet radio over non-amateur radio facilities,
because, you know, that's just wrong.  Like phone patches are all
different.  Like we do with many ARISS contacts these days.  Oh well.

I don't know if any AMPR IP traffic ever got shoved over this. Around
the same time, early KA9Q NET or NOS code has the ability to tunnel over
the Internet, so maybe that was going on at the same time?

louie
wa3ymh