ADDITIONAL INFO - Baofeng UV-B5/B6

William "Bill" Kisse WA3GJD at arrl.net
Thu Mar 13 12:10:08 CDT 2014

I have been using the Baofeng UV-B6 handheld for almost a year.

As I mentioned in a previous post the receiver is superior to the UV-5R and also the UV-82L - less susceptible to overload and intermod.

Also of note the UV-82L is slightly higher power but a big hit to the spectral purity of its transmitter - not worth the 10-15% extra power plus increased battery drain, and I would definitely not recommend the UV-82L on a power amplifier!

AN ADDEDUM TO THE UV-B5 UV-B6 manual:

The manual states that to perform a master reset push and hold the "FM" button then power on.

The correct sequence to master reset is to push and hold the "MENU" button then power on.

In my opinion the UV-B5/UV-B6 is a great little radio that can't be beat for the price of the radio and after-market accessories.

A few niggling issues:

- No option to run the radio and charge the battery simultaneously from a 12-volt source.

  Can only charge the battery from the supplied 115-volt charger.

  Perhaps we could discover how to connect 12 VDC, but placing the radio in a desk charger in the car would be awkward.
  The stock UV-5R charger used a 10-VDC wall wart but has a different physical configuration, but may be the same circuitry.

- "Ready" LED is green
  When in charge mode it's a different shade of green - would be nice if the LED was RED when in charging.
  However, charge cycle is fast at apparently sub-five hours from total discharge state and the charger appears "smart" and won't overcharge.

- A PLUS - Spare battery can be charged separate from the radio in the desk charger.

At sub $40.00 perhaps we could just accept what appear to be minor issues!

73,

Bill
WA3GJD

William "Bill" Kisse

301-908-8279
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Margaret Mead, American Cultural Anthropologist