3D printer info

Martin dcmk1mr2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:55:40 CDT 2014

I agree that FDM 3D printing has been over-hyped:  From RepRap.org -
"RepRap is humanity's first general-purpose self-replicating manufacturing
machine".

There's a lot of amazing things being done in the physical computing/3D
realm, but FDM 3D printing may not be that great even if made as cheap and
reliable as today's ink jet printing.

Another option.  There are services that offer 3D printing using other
techniques that can print metal like
Shapeways<http://www.shapeways.com/materials?li=nav>
This might also help get up the learning curve with 3D deisgn entry.

As a toy there's a lot of interesting technology to learn and tinker with.
 Some people are even starting to do DIY laser sintering for 3D metal
printing and 3D epoxy printing.  If you want to get your hands dirty, FDM
3D printer kits start around $500.  I can't suggest any in particular
though the open source Prusa Mendel 2 and Rostock style seems to be popular
designs with the local community.

A data point on the printer that Staples sells - the "Cube" 3D printer for
$1,299.99.  I know of one dying after just six hours of use.  The nichrome
wire in the extrudder broke off at it's connector.  At first look the Cube
looked like it's heavy stamped steel frame would be more vibration
resistant than many of the DIY designs built out of metal rods.  But it
does vibrate and hurts print quality.

I wouldn't buy a Makerbot for a number of reasons, quality and customer
service reputation among them.

Martin