Arduino and 74x595

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Sun Mar 30 18:02:44 CDT 2014

There’s many ways to do the I/O expansion.

To further my previous comments, setting up the LEDs in software also depends somewhat on how the LED on/off data is kept.  For example, if the 32 LEDs are represented as the 32 bits of an unsigned long, then it just a matter of using a for loop to test each data bit as you send each clock bit toggle, then toggle the latch pin at the end of the for loop.  Obviously, I have not checked out the following, and it’s not real Arduino code, but here’s a close proximity:

(set up pins first.. in setup code...
    clock = 595 clock pins (set low at startup)
    data = first 595 data pin (set low at startup)
    latch = 595 output latch pins (set low at startup)
    end of pins setup)

unsigned long leds;    // a long handles 32 bits

leds = 0x00000010; // turn on LED 4 ??

for(int count = 0; count < 32; count++) {
  if(leds & 0x80000000); // test most-significant bit
        data = 1;    // turn on data pin
    else
        data = 0;    // turn off data pin
    clock = 1;        // toggle clock up (leading edge) to send latest bit
    clock = 0;        // toggle clock back down
    leds = leds << 1;    // shift leds data one bit left (may not be exactly right)
    }    // end of bit-test & send loop
    latch = 1;    // now toggle the 595 data output latch to transfer all bits to output pins
    latch = 0;    // and set it back down

This assumes that the first data bit sent out will become the most-significant bit (bit 31), as your hardware is wired.  Therefore, bit 31 of the unsigned int matches up to LED31, and bit 0 of the int matches up to LED0.  There are cleaner ways to code this up, but I’ve left it pretty simple so it’s more clear.

That is, if I’ve got all the above correct!  ints vs longs, and shifting correctly... but this is quick, off the top of my head code.
73, Terry, WB4JFI