ATSC hand held TV

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Mon Apr 28 23:59:54 CDT 2014

No dogs, my only point regarding IBOC was that it's changeover a total mess,
and has not successfully transitioned to digital, unlike TV broadcast.  8VSB
has some issues, but the transition was completed.  Not so with digital
radio.  I have heard about the adjacent channel problems with IBOC, along
with some co-channel interference issues.  Those problems would not be
nearly as important if the ANALOG radio transmissions had ceased.  You would
NOT still have mostly analog radios around your house to receive
interference from IBOC, if those analog stations had ceased to exist.  The
real issue is that the HD Radio transition is stuck, and not moving forward
to a close.  And, I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing.  After
all, it can be hard to pick up an HD Radio signal with a diode detector!

The DTV transition timeline was forced upon us, particularly so the FCC
could recover spectrum.  With RADIO being In-Band, On-Channel, there was
never any push to recover spectrum, therefore never any push to have an end
to the transition.  The FCC said "Let the Market Decide", and it hasn't...
or maybe it has.  As you pointed out, these days HD Radios can be difficult
to find.  That may be the answer in itself!

I'm not sure why you can't pick up any DTV signals, if you could pick up
analog TV signals.  Was the analog picture good quality?  If so, you should
be able to get at least some DTV signals.  What type of DTV receiver do you
have?  Antenna & transmission line system?  The same antenna should work for
analog or digital signals.  I'm guessing that you are north of DC, so one
antenna that gets DC, Baltimore, and the other markets you mentioned must
not be all that directional/good.  Have you tried to move or rotate the
antenna at all?  Here in Charleston, SC, I am MANY miles from the DTV
transmitters (they are north of city by quite a bit, and I am south-west of
downtown).  They are UHF, and I can receive them on a telescoping whip with
a portable DTV receiver that cost $80 at CVS.  I have use that system
several times during potential weather emergencies.  They do call this the
"Low Country" for a reason.

It seems like your dog in the hunt is that whomever chose a digital
transmission system (either for radio or TV), chose the wrong one.  And they
are idiots.  Based on my experience with the DTV transition, I totally
disagree regarding it's changeover.  HD Radio is a totally different animal,
with different market pressure points (or lack thereof).

Tacos may not be the best place for this discussion, I don't know.  Saying
people are idiots or ideas are stupid does not enlighten the listening crowd
about the technical success or failures of this system or that.  As with any
technical decision, there will be winners and there will be losers.  I guess
(based on your stated experiences) you are on the losing end of both of
these.  Sorry for your loss.
Terry, WB4JFI