From T-MARC -- April 2014 146.000 SIMPLEX ?

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sat May 10 00:43:13 CDT 2014

Sandy:

Except that this is not a 1 MHz split 2 M repeater, but one that is considered to be “upside down” in a bit over half the country.  It is a “standard” 600 kHz split repeater.  It just happens to be where high-in/low-out exchanges with low-in/high-out.

This kind of crap happens all the time.  When I ran a wide coverage area repeater, we had a couple on our input from Pennsylvania, through Delaware, through Maryland and into Virginia, using our input frequency as an illegal, unlicensed simplex frequency.  We were FINALLY able to reach them from a high rise building roof in Springfield, and they immediately shut up.  Five hours of interference.  They could not have picked a worse frequency.  I should have called friends at the FCC.

The other was when some NVFMA officers and big wigs were plotting out simplex coverage for some kind of race and they decided to use our input frequency as their test simplex frequency.  They should have known better.  Three hours of stupidity.

The 1 MHz split repeaters really get clobbered in the NYC area, where many of them have been on the air, and coordinated, for over 40 years.

—chip