Opinions on safety of dropbox ???

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Aug 3 21:05:59 CDT 2014

R Cramer <rwcfl at tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Also for what it is worth I am not saving pictures but instead backups
> of my web server.  MySQL and Word Press are taking up an ungodly
> amount of space.  More then I had anticipated.

Now that you've shared your use case...  :)

Push encrypted backups (public key means you can encrypt with the key
that you leave permanently on the server and keep your decrypt key
offline) into S3 or Amazon Glacier, in more than one availability
zone, and be happy.  It'll run you to some bucks if you need to pull
it back out again (more on Glacier, but best price for storing it is
more on S3).

Do the cost analysis for whether you do S3 or Glacier to decide which
one you want to use.  They're both cheaper, particularly with the
amounts of data you're likely to have on a personal web site, than
building something yourself.

There are several programs out there that will run on Unix (presumably
where your web server is) to push the backups.  Remember that backing
up live database files will get you something useless when you
restore; you want to do database dumps and back *those* up.  Compress
then encrypt, not the other way around.  :)

I'm not sure what you would be accomplishing with FreeNAS unless you
are just looking to have the comfort of having a copy of your web site
under your pillow.

Happy to discuss in further depth...

-r