Broadcom offers $19.99 Internet of Things development kit - The Inquirer

Robert Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Sep 2 18:24:44 CDT 2014

On Sep 2, 2014, at 6:53 PM, Andre Kesteloot <akesteloot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rob,
> I am not quite sure I understand the article and why you might lose something.
>
> quote:
> Multiple banks say they are seeing evidence that Home Depot stores may be the source of a
> massive new batch of stolen credit and debit cards that went on sale this morning in the cybercrime underground. Home Depot says that it is working with banks and law enforcement agencies to investigate reports of suspicious activity.
> unquote.
>
> Did you unknowingly buy a Home Depot Debit Card from a Home Depot place, that card being part of a previous batch ?

When I go to Home Depot, I use my credit card to buy tools and home improvement supplies.  This credit card number is subsequently stored in their back end systems.

There is a pile of new stolen credit card numbers floating around (there are underground marketplaces for such things - Krebs writes about his experiences with them here:  http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/06/peek-inside-a-professional-carding-shop/ ).  The source of these credit (and debit) card numbers is believe to be Home Depot, through compromise of the aforementioned back end systems.

Last time this happened I was issued a new card by the credit union and learned after the fact that it was compromised in the Harbor Freight heist.

While I didn't experience any monetary losses there is the inconvenience of credit cards stopping working suddenly (always carry some cash!), having to do new pairings with things like my EZ-Pass, Amazon, the payment system for the electric car, etc.

I just got a new card (unbidden) last month.  Credit union says it was from changing card processors.  Doesn't make any sense since the card number was the same (new expiry date and CVV).  I guess I should expect a card with a new number on it to come in the mail any day now.

-r