The reason for starting the END-FED antenna thread -

kf4hcw kf4hcw at lifeatwarp9.com
Mon Oct 6 14:34:21 CDT 2014

On 2014-10-06 11:38, R Cramer wrote:
> I was really trying to find if anyone had built a basically horizontal
> antenna that would handle 100-200 W RF.  The high impedance end can
> make this challenging.  The PAR antennas were basically designed for
> power levels under 5 W.
>
> We can close the thread if noone had done this or has an interest. If
> anyone wants to continue the discussion of verticals maybe we should
> change the subject line.

If horizontal and end-fed is something you want, that's where I started
when I ended up with my loop. The progression was this:

* Started looking at an inveted L.
* Discovered I would need counterpoise - likely some significant work on
an RF ground system.
* For many reasons I didn't like the unbalanced aspect of it - and
didn't want to have RF in my shack (more difficult to control if the
tuner is in the shack and with unbalanced antennas etc).

I realized eventually that the counterpoise could end up being the
bottom half of a loop if all I did was to connect it at the far end. So
I did a bit of math and then tried it. So far it's worked great.

The result was that in the same footprint as a long wire I could bury
half of a loop and have a balanced antenna with a low take-off angle and
no further need for counterpoise.

>From above ground it looks like an inverted L - except the far end drops
to the ground again. I put my tuner out in a box at the feed point --
but I didn't have to do that. Electrically it's a loop. The bottom half
is in a plastic conduit just under the surface so that no creatures mess
with it. I can see how in some scenarios you might simply lay the bottom
part of the loop (insulated wire) on the surface of the ground (in your
woods for example) and let litter bury it over time.

It sounds like this might be just what you're really looking for.

_M

--
kf4hcw
Pete McNeil