Errant boat scrubs Antares launch from Virginia

Gerald Wolczanski jerrywlinux at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 12:55:41 CDT 2014

With two sailing buddies, we did the DelMarVa circumnavigation on 01 Oct
and sailed down this portion of the Atlantic coast.  Good luck finding
any "Notice to Mariners" information regarding these launches.  Here's
somebody else who is puzzled:
http://nasawatch.com/

Sailing past Dahlgren last year on the Potomac, I was hailed by a range
safety boat on channel 16, moved to another channel, and then given
instructions on how to navigate around their range [live fire exercise
had just begun].  That's one way to do it.  The nearest USCG radio
station from Wallops might be Hampton Roads....pretty good DX for
somebody bouncing down the Atlantic Coast in a sailboat.

Did Wallops not have a range safety boat deployed?

"Errant boat" indeed.

We brought along the latest paper charts (aka maps) as a back-up to
electronic navigation systems - and nothing on those charts talks about
launch restrictions as discussed below:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/334.130

Jerry
KI4IO