eLORAN

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 11:20:26 CDT 2014

Joe,

The original LORAN system was deployed during WWII, used the 160 meter
band and continued for some time afterwords but was shut down and the
band was returned to the hams as it had been before the war.

A later version was deployed on 100 kHz and is still in use in some
countries.  It is not a global system so they are more of a regional
system.  At one point the system in the US was being expanded to provide
stations in the mid-america so the system could be used for aircraft
navigation.  Then the success of GPS caused the expansion to halt and
later to shut down all the US transmitters. :-(

I am not certain if the British eLORAN is a variant of LORAN C but I
suspect it is to take advantage of the installed base of receivers and
transmitters.  The LORAN C system works very well and modern receivers
use microprocessors etc. to produce a map display.

The early LORAN systems both on 160 meters and 100 kHz used an
oscilloscope type display and required a series of special maps and user
skill to navigate with them.  The microprocessors made a huge
difference.  I got a receiver at a hamfest, put it in my car and it
reported latitude and longitude but no maps. A problem was that road
maps from the gas stations did not have latitude and longitude.
Instead, you needed maps from the government which did not show roads
very well.  Nonetheless, it was a fun system to run.

Frank K0BRA