eLORAN

joseph at kirtland.com joseph at kirtland.com
Fri Oct 31 07:57:00 CDT 2014

Are there any LORAN restrictions still in effect on 160 meters?

Joe, N6DGY

Original email:
-----------------
From: fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:41:33 -0400
To: tacos at amrad.org
Subject: Re: eLORAN

When I worked for the US Navy, I was the navigation policy officer and I
was a strong advocate of LORAN C as a backup for GPS.  We had an
installed base of modern LORAN C receivers on our ships and the Coast
Guard had the installed base of LORAN C transmitters.  All we had to do
was the cost of maintenance and operation, both which were not that great.

We would hear of shutting down LORAN C from time to time but the US Navy
would not go along with that.

Since that the Coast Guard decided to shut down the LORAN C transmitter
sites.  That was a bad policy decision.

Now the US Navy will have to use celestial navigation as back up.  They
can probably do it but the loss of LORAN C makes it a speciality of a
limited group of naval officers trained at the Naval Academy.

Frank K0BRA