AMRAD LF Active Antenna Question

Andre Kesteloot akesteloot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 16:35:54 CST 2014

Hello Mark,

yes indeed, as Rob wrote, the part you need is a Neon bulb type NE-2.
You will find it at Digi-Key for 54 cents.
Digi Key does not have a minimum order and will mail small items First Mail
in a small envelope.

*http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/A1A/A1A-ND/4176016
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/A1A/A1A-ND/4176016>*

​This neon bulb looks like a high impedance (open circuit) until you apply
between 70 and 90v across it, as which time, the neon gas in the envelope
starts conducting. It then presents an extremely low resistance
(essentially a short-circuit) between the two electrodes.

As it is connected, if a high static voltage (thunderstorms, ...) were to
appear at the antenna, the bulb would strike and the static voltage would
be shorted to ground. Upon disappearance of that high volagte spike, the
neon tube would stop conducting, and the signal fro the antenna would again
be amplified by the received.