MARCONI WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY c1919 LIFEBOAT SPARK TRANSMITTER Type 241C

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 3 17:19:35 CST 2014

On 11/3/2014 3:22 PM, Nan and Sandy Sanders wrote:
> These were in use much longer than you might think. A ham I knew in
> Baltimore said he signed an inspection on a spark transmitter in a
> life boat on the mid 1950s.
>      Sandy
>     WB5MMB

  That's about the time a friend and I were  building and operating
spark transmitters in our neighborhood. The spark was struck between two
carbon electrodes from D cell batteries held in wood cloths pins. Parts
were mounted on a cardboard cigar box, our favorite chassis material
back then. For power we connected to the mains with a 100 watt light
bulb as a resistive load. It was crude and difficult to operate but
worked well enough to be heard for several blocks when connected to a
long wire antenna. Ah, the good old days. It's a wonder we didn't fry
ourselves. O:-)

Anon