Microsoft opening up .NET

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Nov 16 19:34:33 CST 2014

"Terry Fox" <tfox at knology.net> writes:

> It's funny, not one word of mention of this development here on tacos.
> This is a HUGE deal.

Well, there's been a subset of .NET available for the Mac for 7 years;
it's called Silverlight.  It's widely regarded as a strong competitor
to Flash when you're looking for a way to make your CPU fans scream
like a Convair 880 on the runup pad while presenting a sluggish user
interface.  It was introduced with a lot of fanfare (pun intended)...

I suppose then that with regard to this latest announcement, I'll be
reserving judgement/excitement for when there's working cross-platform
code that does interesting things.  So your comment about HPSDR is
well taken.  If there are any other places where we might watch for
early signs of cool stuff coming to fruition, please share.

-r