Echolink settings and Tuesday net

Nan and Sandy Sanders radiodog77 at pobox.com
Sun Nov 23 23:16:16 CST 2014

Looks like we will still have some repeater
problems Tuesday but Hal will have a RF path to
it so we should be able to work around the
problem. I have been looking at EchoLink settings
. The default time out is 200 plus seconds, the
repeater is 180 seconds I went into
tools-setup-timing and set my time out for 170
seconds. This should keep the repeater from
timing out. The more long winded among us may
also make that change so we get the warning. The
next thing I did was went to
tools-setup-performance and set network to 5 and
PC to 2 to get buffering delays down from 1.2
seconds to .56 seconds. If this works ok I will reduce them more.
      Sandy
     WB5MMB

Topics for discussion Tuesday Tech Net.

We had a successful net last Tuesday and we just got to cover
some of Second Topic.  So, lets see what we can
do with the First Topic: computers.
The questions is actually all about the Makers
movement: why are they successful?
How might learn from their successes?    I
visited the NVA Makers group in Reston
and sat through a makers group on Auduino - there
are other groups dedicated to
building things with FPGA, robots, metal and wood
working (they have shops for these!)
laser fabricating in pastics (yep, these lasers
are not toys).  Its in the auduino class
that I saw the 11 year olds coding in a C like language.  What struct me was
their sense of excitement and desire to share what they made with others.
Another was the kids had one of their parents there, usually the father,
and they also were learning to program.   A lot of people want to, and are
capable of tinkering ­ getting started really.  The entry cost is low,
both its complexity and in its doing.   What can we learn from this??

Information about the NVA Makers (the group I saw) is here:

<http://www.meetup.com/NOVA-Makers/>http://www.meetup.com/NOVA-Makers/

My apologies to the several hams who tried to
check into the Net via the repeater.
Be assured we narrow minded engineers are focused on improving the experience.