IEEE: Software-defined Networks

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Thu Dec 11 19:25:53 CST 2014

Can it happen?  Sure.  Can you live with it happening?  Huh, maybe, maybe not.

There's something else that's been around, called G-MPLS.  This extends MPLS traffic
engineering done in packets switches into the optical transport layer.  The fantasy is
that when you want to provision a flow, and there's not enough capacity on the existing
trunks between your routers, then the whole mechanism can cause new optical paths
through an agile optical transport network to spring into existence and poof!  You can break
lots more stuff, all at once.

Ok, so you can maybe convince yourself it all "works", but if you have a problem that
large in a carrier network, sometimes the organization is shaped differently enough
that the guys running the optical transport are disjoint from the guys running the
layer-2/3 MPLS/IP networks.  Having boundaries is a good thing, especially when the
economics and operational realities are very different.

SDN could be very useful, under the right circumstances and use cases.  But it doesn't
magically change the economics of running a large network.  It does potentially unchain
the software feature set for crazy stuff you want to do from hardware vendors, but in
exchange for that, you also get finger-pointing.  Maybe that's OK, but you have to
manage it.

Like the G-MPLS thing, there's all these possible features and capabilities, but
what subset of those are useful commercially for the market to adopt vs. doing
a Ph.D. thesis on?  Still early days in many respects.  It brings a powerful capability
to your toolset, but you have to make sure you don't put an eye out trying to use it.

louie
wa3ymh