IEEE: Software-defined Networks

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Thu Dec 11 19:48:12 CST 2014

The thing that frosts my parsnips is that as far as I could ever tell,
EVERY PACKET NETWORK EVER BUILT is “software defined”,
one way or another. Certainly any network element with more configurability
than a rock contains a lot of software (usually too much, but that’s a different rant).

As for the SDN bosons who claim that “Data guys don’t understand software”,
a statement so unspeakably pompously arrogant could only come from people who
don’t have the slightest idea about the problem definition that “data guys”
have to deal with. I’d bet several thousand dollars that none of those wankers
could develop an entirely new implementation of the SPF algorithm that behaves
itself in the face of congestive collapse IN TWO FREAKIN’ DAYS.  In fact,
I’d bet a grand that they don’t even understand the problem statement.

Bah!

“Don’t we have *people* to do that?”

	Grrrrrrrr
	-mo