A very cute hack for a 1-wire LCD panel interface, including power!

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Fri Jan 2 15:17:07 CST 2015

The Dallas one-wire interface is pretty feeble in terms of current available.
To me, the cutest part of this implementation is that there is no voodoo required
to talk to the panel - it’s just 8N1 at 2400 baud which damn near anything can bang-out
with little to no grief. That means I can hang it on a second surreal port as a mini-console
on a one-board-wonder as easily as I can drive it from an Arduino or other digital goober.
everything either has a hardware surreal port or there is bit-banger code that will do it,
and even the most sluggish spring-head can make 2400 baud.

while it would be nice to make the panel auto-baud, the cute hack of looking for
the ASCII NUL with an R/C circuit gets major props for most-est with the least-est
in my book. changing the baud rate would mean the time constant would have to change, too.

	-mo